Week in Review 12-23 to 12-29

Affidavit provides further details on alleged theft at fatal crash scene

The affidavit in the case of a Lakeview man charged with taking items from the victim of a fatal vehicle crash says 33-year-old David Simmons entered the accident scene not to render aid but to remove evidence that might connect him to the accident or some other crime and to take property.

The probable cause affidavit obtained by KTLO, Classic Hits and The Boot news says on the night of the October accident, the victim left a residence in Yellville en route to her home in Oakland. The woman is reported to have said she and her boyfriend, identified as Simmons, were having trouble.

The occupants of the Yellville residence remembered the woman having a large green purse, her cellphone and jewelry on when she left.

On the way home, the victim and Simmons were reported to have been talking and texting.

Simmons got behind the victim in his vehicle around Bull Shoals Dam.

The fatal accident occurred on State Highway 178 near Stone Dog Lane in Lakeview.

Simmons is alleged to have pulled up at the crash scene, went to the victim’s SUV and retrieved her purse and cellphone. He then took the SIM card from the phone, and according to the affidavit did so because he did not want to be connected to the accident “or anything else.”

SIM cards store data cellphone data, such as user identity, location and phone number, network authorization data, personal security keys, contact lists and stored text messages.

The Lakeview man then reportedly went to the victim, removed her jewelry and left the scene without calling and reporting the accident.

Lakeview Police Chief David Hotchkiss said earlier there was only a brief period between the crash and the time Grover-Township fire and rescue personnel arrived at the scene. The window of time is estimated at four minutes.

The chain of events was determined based on conversations Simmons allegedly had with three individuals, all providing the same account.

A family member reportedly pressured Summons to the extend he returned the victim’s pursue and a ring.

Simmons was arrested Monday and charged with felony counts of tampering with physical evidence and theft of property.

His bond was set at $10,000.

Chief Hotchkiss says the investigation into the incident is continuing.


Christmas day dispute leads to Yellville man’s arrest on sexual charges

A Marion County man, 40-year-old Nathan Siebrasse of Yellville, has been arrested on felony charges of incest and first-degree sexual assault, as well as misdemeanor counts of third-degree domestic battery, terroristic threatening, and third-degree assault.

Marion County Sheriff Clinton Evans says his department received a call on Christmas concerning a physical domestic dispute at a residence in Yellville. While deputies were investigating the domestic dispute, a juvenile female made officers aware of alleged sexual contact with Siebrasse. During the course of the investigation, officers were told Siebrasse had been having a sexual relationship with the juvenile female since August. During an interview with Siebrasse, he allegedly admitted to the sexual relationship.

Siebrasse is being held in the Marion County jail in lieu of $76,000 bond, awaiting his first appearance in the Marion County Circuit Court.

An online photo on the Marion County Sheriff’s Office website’s inmate roster reflects a visibly bloody picture of Siebrasse.


Details released on Sunday evening accident in MH

The Mountain Home Police Department has released details on a two-vehicle accident Sunday afternoon resulting in one car overturing multiple times and two people being transported to Baxter Regional Medical Center.

According to the report, the accident occurred just before 5:00 at the intersection of Arkansas Highway 5 South and Cardinal Drive.

A vehicle traveling east on Ninth Street and driven by 42-year-old Jamie Dean of Midway failed to stop at the red traffic signal. Dean’s vehicle struck a second vehicle turning from Cardinal onto Ninth and driven by 49-year-old Jason Whitman of Burnsville, Minnesota.

The impact overturned Dean’s vehicle, with it coming to rest on the driver’s side.

Dean and a passenger in his vehicle, 32-year-old Eric Olsen of Mountain Home, were transported by ambulance to Baxter Regional Medical Center. A second passenger in the Dean vehicle, 79-year-old Patricia Whitman of Mountain Home, was listed with no apparent injury.

While preliminary information indicated one person was transported to a Springfield hospital, the report does not include this detail.

Both vehicles were towed from the scene. No charges were listed on the report.


Man calling himself King Michael appears in court

A Clarksville man — who has proclaimed himself “King Michael” — was in Baxter County Circuit Court Thursday facing charges of threatening to have Baxter County Sheriff John Montgomery, former Sheriff Benny Magness and a district judge executed.

Forty-five-year-old Michael Thomas Curtis appeared on a video hookup from the Baxter County jail.

Immediately on sitting down before the camera in the jail, Curtis launched into a disjointed and rambling discourse denying he had threatened anyone and proclaiming the emails containing threatening language did not come from him.

When asked if he had retained a lawyer to represent him, Curtis said he did not need a lawyer because in addition to being a king, he was also a “justice and police officer.” He was ordered to reappear in circuit court Jan. 17th.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Curtis began sending a flurry of allegedly threatening emails to the Baxter County Sheriff’s Office, after he was served with temporary orders of protection obtained by two members of his family — his ex-wife who lives in Baxter County and an estranged daughter who is in college in another part of the state.

He was served with the temporary orders in Clarksville Oct. 24th, according to Sheriff Montgomery.

Following a hearing on Dec. 7th, the district court issued final orders of protection for both women effective through December 2023. Curtis did not attend the hearing, according to Sheriff Montgomery.

Most of Curtis’ communications were described as harassing in nature and incoherent in content. However, some of the messages did contain direct and specific threats against the officials.

In one of the messages, Curtis referred to himself as “King Michael” and said he was giving orders and directives to President Donald Trump to have the executions of the officials in Baxter County carried out.

One of his emails reads: The President of the United States of America orders the execution of Sheriff John Montgomery and Sheriff Benny Magness of Baxter County, Mountain Home, Arkansas, for the attempted murder and abduction by sheriff terrorism of King Michael Thomas Curtis of Johnson County, Clarksville, Arkansas, and his Queen Daughter. Both sheriffs are to be executed until dead as ordered by executive order of the President of the United States of America, Donald Trump.

An arrest warrant was obtained Dec. 11th based on the threats and served on Curtis by the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office. He was brought back to Baxter County and booked into the county jail with bond set at $50,000.

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office also allegedly incurred Curtis’ wrath for serving the papers on him. He began threatening personnel in that office with execution — again on the orders of President Trump, according to Curtis.

He accused officials in Johnson County of being in league with those in Baxter County in an attempt to murder “King Michael Thomas Curtis” and abduct his “queen daughter.”

The affidavits completed by his ex-wife and daughter as part of the effort to obtain protective orders to get Curtis out of their lives contain a number of bizarre claims and statements made by him to his wife and daughter.

In one email allegedly sent by a person identified as special agent Michael Timothy Houston to Curtis’ daughter, he wrote her father had left the U.S. for Greece and would not be returning. In another text, Curtis wrote he was angry with special agent Houston for telling his daughter a lie. He reported he was not in Greece, but still living in Clarksville. The daughter noted the special agent was, most likely, a figment of her father’s imagination.

In addition to calling himself a king, Curtis also claims to be a judge, an undercover justice and a Navy SEAL in his correspondence.

In the affidavit for the protective orders, the ex-wife wrote her husband had been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic. She said she felt he was apparently off his medications and not in his right mind.

The daughter says in her affidavit she had been estranged from her father for several years. She said after starting college, she made an attempt to rebuild a relationship with her parent, but his messages became more and more strange. She described them as “rambling in nature and focused on religion, the stock market, and college scholarships.” The daughter says she blocked her father from communicating with her in late June.

Curtis is charged with two counts of terroristic threatening and threatening a judicial official or juror. All the charges are felonies. His bond is set at $50,000.

The United State Secret Service was provided with information pertaining to the case and assisted with the investigation.


Call to cellphone from blocked number leads police to stolen 4-wheeler

A call to the cellphone of a Fulton County deputy from a blocked number has led to two arrests in connection with a missing four-wheeler.

According to the probable cause affidavit filed Wednesday, on Nov. 13th during the investigation of a reported stolen four-wheeler, the deputy received a call advising him of the location of the missing vehicle.

The caller advised the four-wheeler was under the side porch at the residence of 47-year-old Lonnie Strauser and 38-year-old Tracy Strauser on Morriston Road.

The deputy proceeded to drive by the Strauser’s residence, where he observed a green four-wheeler fitting the description of the one reported stolen.

A check of the vehicle identification number confirmed it was the reported stolen four-wheeler.

The couple has been charged with felony counts of theft by receiving. Lonnie Strauser’s bond was set at $7,500, while Tracy Strauser’s has been set at $5,000.

WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI