2 arrested following disturbance, 1 returns to jail that evening

Michael Burkeen

Robert Anderson

Two people were arrested after Mountain Home Police responded to a disturbance Thursday morning, with jail records indicating one suspect was arrested again the same day.

According to the probable cause affidavit, officers responded to the incident along Gray Street and met outside with two individuals, including 59-year-old Robert Anderson of Mountain Home. The two said three others had been in an altercation at the residence, but had left. The three reported leaving included 38-year-old Michael Burkeen.

Officers met with a third person inside the residence, who also said Burkeen had left.

Anderson was then observed reaching into his right front pocket and turning away from law enforcement. One of the officers reported he directed Anderson to turn toward him, and it appeared he was about to run.

Anderson was known to be a parolee with a search waiver on file. In his pocket, officers located several plastic baggies of crystal and green leafy substances.

Anderson said he was just holding the drugs for Burkeen. During the investigation, officers learned Burkeen was still in the house in possession of a 9mm pistol and requested additional law enforcement.

Officers then learned when two of the individuals who had left before their arrival came to the house, Burkeen reportedly became extremely upset, running to their vehicle and hitting its windows.

When one of the individuals exited the vehicle, Burkeen allegedly pulled the pistol from his waistband and racked it. The two individuals in the car then left.

When officers arrived, the homeowner gave them permission to search the residence. When they learned Burkeen was still inside, they ordered him out of the bathroom and took him into custody. He denied having the gun, then said he did have one, but got rid of it a week ago by tossing it behind the house near a creek.

A search of the area was unsuccessful, with Burkeen then advising the weapon was under a mattress in one of the bedrooms, where he led officers, and it was retrieved.

Burkeen was charged with obstructing governmental operations, disorderly conduct and carrying certain prohibited weapons. Online jail records indicate he was booked into the Baxter County Detention Center shortly after 10:00 and released before 2:00 Thursday afternoon. Jail records also reflect him being back in the jail Thursday afternoon on a third-degree domestic battery charge, before being released shortly after 7:00 p.m. In both cases, his bond was listed at less than $1,000.

Officers also took Anderson into custody, with him being charged with three drug-related offenses and a parole violation, as well as being a habitual offender. His bond was set at $30,000.

WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI