Man charged with criminal attempt to commit murder appears in court

Darrey Lynn Hart of rural Mountain Home, who is charged with a number of felonies, including criminal attempt to commit murder and first-degree domestic battery, appeared before Judge Jason Duffey on Tuesday for a Rule 8.1 hearing.

The hearing is held to meet requirements that an arrested person who has not been released from jail either by posting bond or by other lawful means should be brought before a judicial officer without unnecessary delay.

During the hearing, the judge informs the defendant of the charges against him, informs him he is not required to say anything and anything he says can be used against him in court.

His right to be represented is explained as is his right to communicate with his family, friends, and attorney.

The charges against the 45-year-old Hart stem from an incident November 29th when he is alleged to have attacked relatives at their mobile home located along Big Pond Circle where Hart is also reported to live.

The victims were both reported to be in their 60's.

Personnel from the Baxter County Sheriff's Office were dispatched to the Baxter Regional Medical Center emergency room where they interviewed the victims. Both victims had been able to drive themselves to BRMC after the attack.

The male relative said he had gone to the residence for lunch shortly after noon on November 29th. He said he found Hart had been arguing and fighting with his female relative. The male said confrontations of that type between Hart and his relatives had been frequent. The male relative said he told Hart to leave the female relative alone so he could could go back to work and not have to worry about them.

Hart, who had allegedly been drinking then threatened his male relative who was able to grab Hart under the arms and the two of them fell to the ground and began to fight. The elderly male relative said he was able to get up and grab a closet dowel sitting by a door and told Hart he needed to stop. He said Hart then went into his bedroom, but then came out of the bedroom welding a large knife with a blade length of approximately eight inches. The male relative said Hart "came at him" with the knife. He said the female relative "jumped between the two males and began to struggle for the knife as well".

It was reported when Hart saw the large amount of blood produced by the cuts sustained during the fight, he left the area.

According to investigators the male relative suffered a deep cut to the left wrist and cuts to the right hand. The female had skin tearing to the left forearm, cuts to the right hand and a large wound to the chest.

According to a release from the Baxter County Sheriff's Office, Hart was later found in a room at a Mountain Home hotel and taken into custody. When he was interviewed, he said he was in his bedroom in the mobile home he shared with his two relatives when the male relative came in with a broom handle and began beating him. He said he pulled the knife and stabbed at the elderly relative in self defense. Hart said the incident began and ended in the bedroom, but then changed his story and admitted the stabbing had happened in the victim's bedroom, but still claimed self defense.

Investigators noted Hart had no visible injuries.

Hart was booked into the Baxter County Detention Center just before 8 p.m. November 29th. His original bond was set at $100,000 and Judge Duffy left the bond set at that amount, according to court records.He was ordered to appear in Baxter County Circuit Court December 14th for formal arraignment.

WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI